When many of the historical markers put into place in 2003 by the Greater Canonsburg Heritage Society were so cracked or faded they became difficult to read JCHS started the Replace the Signs Campaign. The intention was to install new high quality signs that would stand up against time and the elements. That campaign was completed earlier this year and the first of the signs to be replaced, McMillan's Log School, has been put into place. We will chronicle the replacement progress below. Special thanks goes to Canonsburg Mayor David Rhome along with Tom Lawrence and his crew for the installation of the poles for the new signs.
The first of the new markers to be installed. John McMillan's Log School has been used as the symbol for Canonsburg and the Jefferson College Historical Society. Originating in North Strabane the original log cabin school was moved to Canonsburg and has remained on the grounds of Jefferson College and subsequently on the school property ever since.
Opened in 1793 by Henry Westbay, it became famous due to its link to the Whiskey Rebellion. It was in its back room that David Bradford, Colonel John Canon, and Thomas Speer opened stolen mail sacks.
Operated for the better part of the 1800s this hotel and tavern at the southwest corner of Pike and Central was a popular and well frequented location in Canonsburg. That was especially true in the Jefferson College years when visitors to the school would often use its facilities. The 140th's Company G were welcomed home after service in the Civil War inside its walls
The homestead of John F. Budke and family. Mr. Budke was a one time state senator and contributed greatly to the local economy via his enterprises in the gas and steel industries. He organized the Canonsburg Steel Company in 1904 and was its president.
On the grounds of the president's home for Jefferson College. The armory was dedicated in 1938 and has housed companies H of the 103rd Medical Regiment and G of the 110th infantry, among others.
At the northeast corner of Pike and Central Emery's Tavern is said to have entertained Presidents John Quincy Adams and James Monroe.
Located at the southwest corner of College and Greenside Fort Armstrong was a student residence in which the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity was founded.
Between the Veteran's Statue and Log School this marker returns to demark the location of the Jefferson College campus as well as Jefferson Academy and Canonsburg High School.
The last sign was the victim of a car accident. Canon's Mill operated for over 200 years beginning in 1780 and finally closing its doors in 1996.
Located at 246 North Jefferson Avenue it is the site of the founding of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, based on the "great joy of serving others".
A building that has stood for more that 130 years housing businesses and apartments for generations. It is infamously known as the location of the Morgan Opera House Disaster on August 26, 1911.
The last remaining building of Jefferson College, was originally occupied by Rev. John Watson in 1800. The land was part of John Canon's land parcels and was sold to Rev. John McMillan in 1796 and the original part of the house was constructed.
The location of Canonsburg Academy and Library Company, that became the Jefferson College. The building was used from 1794 until 1817 when the campus opened across the street.
After a public fundraising campaign the Mothers of Democracy commissioned sculptor Guiseppe Moretti to create a statue in honor of the area's servicemen. The statue was dedicated on Memorial Day 1924.
The home and business location of John Watson, Esq. His blacksmith shop operated at the northwest corner of Pike and Central for 40 years, opening its doors a few years prior to the incorporation of Canonsburg borough.